To really start your day off right, try this morning sequence. It only requires you to wake up fifteen minutes before you usually wake up, but it can make all the difference in the world.
- lay quietly and listen to the sound of your own breath for five deep inhales and exhales
- mindfully make a pot of tea or coffee (mindfully meaning moving slowly, quietly and with great care)
- while waiting for your warm beverage, sit and read a passage / chapter from an inspirational book (examples: A Life Worth Breathing by Max Strom, In the Face of Fear edited by Barry Boyce)
- pour your cup of tea or coffee and inhale for a count of six, pause, exhale count of 6
- move to your favorite spot- inside or out
- slowly sip your drink and sit in the quiet moment as long as you can
- take a long hot shower and begin your day
This post was inspired after a conversation with Brian about today’s sequence. Thanks for the reminder that the best yoga practices we have often don’t include a single pose.